Garage Door Safety Tips!
1. We highly recommend consulting your owners manual to learn how to operate your emergency release cord. This highly important step allows you to operate the door manually if you are having trouble with the operator. This will allow you the ability to disconnect the operator and handle the door manually until the problem can be resolved by a garage door technician.
2. We love amusement park rides here at Overhead Door; however your garage door is NOT one of those rides. Please do not allow your children to hold onto the door as it is opening to get a "ride" up the door. This is incredibly dangerous and unsafe. Your garage door is not a toy, and should never be treated as such. Let's leave the rides to the amusement parks.
3. We recommend a visual garage door inspection at least every month. Take a peek at the cables, rollers, springs and pulleys for signs of wear and tear. People often ask, "Should I have my garage door serviced?" The answer to that is yes. Once a year you should have a qualified technician adjust, lubricate, and service your door. This will help you catch premature problems with your garage door and operator.
Click here if you need to schedule a yearly service for your garage door. http://overheaddoorofsacramento.com/parts-service/
4. Test your Safety Sensors. All garage doors installed after 1991 have safety sensors on the track of the garage door about 6 inches off of the ground. These sensors will not allow the garage door to come down if something is in the way of the door. This feature helps to prevent injury and harm by not allowing the door to close if something in the way. Test the reversing mechanism by placing a 2-inch by 4-inch board in the door’s path. If the door does not reverse after contacting the object, call a qualified garage door professional for repair. If the opener has not been replaced since 1993, replace the garage door opener with a new one that has safety beams and auto-reverse as a standard feature.
5. If you park outside make sure you bring your garage door remote inside the house with you. You can also think about purchasing an OHDAnywhere. This device lets you open, close, and monitor your garage door through the operator, wifi, and your smartphone. Click here to learn more about the OHDAnywhere.
If you ever have any questions or concerns on your garage door and the safety of your products please do not hesitate to ask us. You can reach us at 6756 Franklin Blvd or call us at (916)421-3747.